CCIRA is working with Wuikinuxv, Nuxalk, and Kitasoo/Xai’Xais Nations to support and strengthen their capacity for lands and forest stewardship.
Central Coast First Nations are part of the Great Bear Rainforest agreements and Reconciliation Protocol agreements with the province of British Columbia. CCIRA is working with the Nations to support them in realizing the opportunities available through these agreements.
CCIRA’s Lands Coordinator is working with communities to support:
- conservancy management and protected area planning
- coordination of a wildlife management working group with the Province
- improved engagement with project proponents and the Province
- drafting and implementation of policies
- building capacity for cultural heritage monitoring
- developing lands and forestry plans
- involvement in the implementation of the Great Bear Rainforest Land Use Order
- increased collaboration between Nations on lands and forestry issues